Monday, February 22, 2016

To whom concern may be possessed


Dr. Devon Golding is a personal friend and colleague. I therefore am privileged to write this note to the Judge on his behalf.

However, under the new circumstances this comes with a very heavy heart. I would therefore like to take a few steps back to over 30 years ago. That being the time when a young, vibrant, smart African American male took to the medical oath to "Respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world would know. Most especially, must I treat with care in matter of life and death. If it is given to me a life, all thanks, but it may also be within my powers to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own fragility. Above all, I must not play as God. I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, or a cancerous growth, but a sick human whose illness may affect the persons family and economic stability. My responsibility therefore, includes these related problems."

At the time I can only image this proud, wide-eyed, human being, revving up his engine, ready to make a mark on this world. All whilst trying to make a living and provide for his family.

So, lets fast forward to today; over 30 years later, and here he stands. Will he continue to provide the service to our fellow human beings? Mistakes were made. But I firmly believe Dr. Golding would never break oath.

As we traced the bureaucracy of the "new millennium" we see that baby boomers apparently no longer fit. Is there remediation and second changes? Are they too old to be re-meditated?

I dear to say there has to be a better way. However, for now it is left up to the justice system. A system that includes all colors and creeds. Martin Luther King in one of his speeches eloquently said "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice."

Your honor, Dr. Golding has practiced the art of medicine for over 30 years; he is a consummate professional. He is effortlessly talented and intelligent. He has served the under served all of his career, and he is perhaps one of the few, if not the only remaining physician that currently sees the need to pickup his medical bag and visit a patient in their home. Usually in places and neighborhoods that are considered "less than desirable".

Dr. Golding has approached his work with his life principles of honesty, integrity, and reliability. Qualities that have truly made him successful over the years.

As he now faces this mountain in his life and career, my prayers be the long arc of justice will bend towards him. To silence this talented individual would not only be an injustice to him but more importantly an injustice to the thousands of patients he has served and potential patients he could serve in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my humble note.

No comments:

Post a Comment